Re: [ARSCLIST] backup software

I forgot to add that PM, once installed on your C: drives allows you to boot to any of the drives when you first turn on your computer. A menu comes up (BootMagic) that gives you the options (in my case, four).

Rod Stephens wrote:

Hello All,

I've been using PartitionMagic for quite a few years to make direct copies of two versions of my C: operating system. Of course, it means that I have to have four separate hard drives on line to accomplish this. My first version C: is for all my general web online business and personal letter writing, financial, etc. The other version of C: operating system is a cleaner version for just doing audio, so that there are no problems with memory being used up by other applications. I periodically update the primary drive versions, and when I do, I make new copies to the secondary drives. PM also allows me to use a DOS boot floppy version to load the program outside of Windows which works flawlessly and copies (overwrites the old partitions with new) both of my versions in less than an hour. I should add that my drives are all ATA/133s, so they are pretty fast, although I'm about to add a SATA drive card to run a new 300GB ATA/150 as well. Redundancy works well in backing up software as well as audio and video (that's another reason why I have so much storage).

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

Angie Dickinson Mickle wrote:

Milan p. Milovanovic wrote:

Don,

how about Ghost? I've heard it is pretty good when dealing with returning
system back.

Milan

Actually, I've heard of a number of problems with recent versions of Ghost used with XP. My experience with version 2001 was enough to distrust it for backing up system drives. It was *the* back-up software before Symantec got hold of it. Then it just got strange. Fine if you are backing up working files. But I won't us it anymore for system drives.

Lately the recommended app. has been Drive Snap Shot. http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm

I have no experience at this time with it. But I soon will.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
www.avocadoproductions.com