Re: [ARSCLIST] USB music card vs. onboard digitization

Alyssa Ryvers wrote:
Does resolving interrupts make the sound more satisfactory? Enquiring minds want to know, because last time I resolved an interrupt, it didn't. Doesn't mean it doesn't now, and I'm open to hearing about that, because I'm always interested in keeping up, and it's been years since I fuddled with interrupts on a sound card. I'm sorry for the weird mood, but I do think from the tone of Mr. Bresler's post, you might overwhelm him by suggesting he inspect waveforms visually, etc. You start talking "Spectrum Analysis", and you're making me nervous too

I think exploring sound cards is a responsible way to go before you take on a task of 1000 xfers.

Briefly:

Resolving interrupts has nothing to do with sound quality but a great deal to do with hair loss. Some time ago, I got rid of a computer because there was no way to get its $%^%% Yamaha on-board sound 'card' to shut down.

Looking at a waverform with an audio editor is not at all difficult; spectral analysis is essential in my opinion if you are to keep out artifacts. Noise may be unavoidable but shape of the noise curve and location of peaks are important in anticipating and solving the problems noise can cause.

Exploring sound cards is great if you have the time and resources to do so. If spectral analysis is daunting, establishing and applying selection criteria should be terrifying.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/