[ARSCLIST] USB music card vs. onboard digitization

Dear friends:

Over the next half year, I'm going to digitize something under a thousand songs currently on LP and 78. I am aiming for reasonable but not necessarily audiophile sound quality. For budgetary reasons, I would much rather not spring for a separate digitization unit. I already have an external USB sound card, the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! MP3+ 5.1 (which I earlier used with my Dell Inspiron to digitize audio tapes.)

So my question: I am told that a computer can be a "noisy" environment in which to digitize audio. I'd welcome opinions about whether I am likely better off using my PC's sound card (it's a fairly high end HP Windows Media PC) or the Sound Blaster USB card, which would at least sit apart from the main unit and might offer a quieter alternative.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Joel

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.