Re: [ARSCLIST] proper cataloging terminology: acetate vs lacquer?

In a message dated 1/19/2006 6:50:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pattac@xxxxxxxx writes:

k 15/16 ips. This is the speed of mini-cassettes used in portable recorders.

However, this is also the professional speed of for instance multitrack
aircraft communication surveillance tapes (and the masters for William
Shatner's 'Dial 911' )
**************

I have many hours of 1/4" tape recorded at 15/16"/s on Norelco, Concertone,
Bell & Howell, and Uher home recorders.

Some minicassettes had the option of 15/32"/s, as did some 1/2" logging
recorders.

If the purpose of cataloging is to help determine if the medium is accessable
with the equipment at hand, it chould be clear in the definition of the
symbol used, what that might be. Otherwise it seems that it would lead to confusion
or just be useless.

Mike Csontos

pattac@xxxxxxxx writes:

----- are the cataloguing rules meant to be used in registering by people who
have only vague ideas of the material and in searching by people on whom the
description would fit, although they have different scopes?

I think Tom Leher's description fits catalogues as well. He said "Life is
like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it".