Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Karl Miller quoted:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Mike Richter wrote:
>
> > "Acetate" became a term for the form just as we use peanut for a plant
> > which is neither pea nor nut. I am one of the nuts who uses quotation
> > marks on "78" as a designation for a recording nominally at that speed, but
> > the great, wide world that knows the 78 is unaware that the term is
> > imprecise.

- - and wrote

> And then we have delimiter d in the 007
>
> And the choices are...
>
> Speed The playback speed of the sound recording. Speed is associated
> with the item.
>
> Analog discs: Speed is measured in revolutions per minute.
>
> a 16 rpm
> b 33 1/3 rpm
> c 45 rpm
> d 78 rpm
> e 8 rpm

----- it seems to me that the speed is just a general indicator, because the
16 rpm is really 16 2/3 and the 8 rpm is really 8 1/3 rpm.

----- you also wrote:

k 15/16 ips. This is the speed of mini-cassettes used in portable recorders.

However, this is also the professional speed of for instance multitrack
aircraft communication surveillance tapes (and the masters for William
Shatner's 'Dial 911' )

----- are the cataloguing rules meant to be used in registering by people who
have only vague ideas of the material and in searching by people on whom the
description would fit, although they have different scopes?

I think Tom Leher's description fits catalogues as well. He said "Life is
like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it".

It would be lovely if modern cataloguing were associated with an expert
system, requesting the cataloguer to answer questions regarding direct
observation of the item, and from the answers to generate the proper
descriptors. One of the questions could be "is the record flexible?", and one
of the answers could be "no, it was not".

Kind regards

George