Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

It seems to me that it is rather silly for people in the present to be worrying about how the unknown future world is going to deal with things based on our knowledge of the technology that is available to us *now*. In the future, it's probable that they will have all kinds of techniques and equipment that we never dreamed of. (Just watch Star Trek.) Why should we concern ourselves with how they do their job? I really don't think the 78-era folks in their wildest imaginations could have dreamed of a laser turntable, but it's our reality.

In the end, this is not our problem - it's THEIR problem. We need to worry about restoring *yesterday's* dying recordings with what we've got available to us now, not today's perfectly good ones. It's like the little kid: "But what if....." We need to address the matters that future people won't be able to - like interviewing folks before they disappear along with all the info in their brains that hasn't been written down. I'm not counting on the future folks having the time machine capabilities, but who knows.

Of course, in the present we can worry about *making* better, longer-lasting recordings and working to ensure that as little as possible gets lost from yesterday to today. Then it will be safe and sound when tomorrow comes.

Mike

mike at JazzDiscography.com
http://www.JazzDiscography.com