Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound card recommendations

Hi Konrad:

Yes, well aware of potential (and sometimes very real) problems of putting a soundcard inside a PC box. WHat I said was, at least in the case of the Card Deluxe and, from what I've read, also in the case of some other pro-grade cards, the problem is avoided.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Konrad Strauss" <konrad.strauss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound card recommendations

on 1/11/06 7:07 PM, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

You know, that recommendation is kind of strange. All or most of the first-gen
professional converters were in-board cards, and they worked fine.

The problem is that there is a lot of noise floating around inside a computer case . If the converter has any unbalanced circuitry this going to introduce noise and degrade the performance of the ADC. The computer's power supply will also add noise. While there are a few exceptions, most onboard ADCs are worthless.

Also, think of all the albums mastered on Macs with in-board cards and Sonic
Solutions, although many places also used external converters and just brought
digital into the box.

Actually Sonic DSP card did not have and ADC, it was dig only.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts