Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound card recommendations

on 1/11/06 8:59 PM, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Finally, we all know that "professional" mastering has always run a wide
> range. While you were working with the $40K Sony rig, smaller operations were
> mastering to DATs and some of those CD's sold very well indeed. I'm definitely
> not saying there aren't clear audible differences, just describing how the art
> is practiced in the real world.

Actually, until 1994 (I think) The only media you could master to was Sony
1630. Sonic developed the PMCD in 94 which only a few manufacturing plants
accepted. It wasn't until the late 1990s that CD-R became universal. DAT has
never been accepted as a CD master (premaster is actually the correct term,
the master is the glass plate from which stampers are made). You may be
referring to Digidesign's Masterlist CD which (if I recall correctly) in the
early days made a master on DAT, but the mastering house had to transfer the
DAT to 1630 before glass mastering.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts