Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q3--DAT

I used DAT extensively from 1989 through 2002 or so. It can be a reliable
medium, but as has been mentioned, there can be problems with
interchangeability, particularly with tapes recorded before 1992.

Another problem is the quality and maintenance status of machines used to
record the tapes. This is probably more of an issue than the tapes
themselves. I suspect that most of the problems we encounter is because of
misalignment or worn record heads. In high use environments, tapes recorded
on machines nearing the end of their head life will be very problematic, to
the point of being unrecoverable. However, tapes recorded on and played back
on a well maintained machine can be very reliable.

Regarding brands, I never found any brand to be regularly problematic, it
seemed more related to tape batches.

I do not believe there is any difference in the thickness of audio DAT tape.
However several engineers I knew always used data DAT tape for audio
recording since supposedly it came from a better stock with a lower error
rate. I believe that the longer data DATs used thinner tape.

One thing to keep in mind is that like all digital audio systems, DAT
performs perfectly until it fails completely. Error correction and
concealment makes sure of this. So even though your DAT tape may appear to
be playing just fine, it could actually be at the edge of failure - constant
error codes and concealment. The old Sony PCM 2500 had an error display on
the front with two LEDs. One for ECC and the second for concealment. I used
to watch DATs play which sounded OK, but both LEDs would be on constantly...

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts