Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q3--DAT

on 1/10/06 7:02 PM, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 1. drop a tape and watch out for data dropouts. Just like a U-Matic and to a
> lesser extent a VHS video cassette. Dropping a DAT can and usually does
> scramble the magnetic particles in one or more parts of the tape. Digital
> dropouts are about as graceful as video dropouts.

This is news to me. I used DAT regularly for at least 12 years and must have
dropped and otherwise abused a hundreds of them. I cannot ever recall a
dropout which I attributed to a dropped DAT. What is your source for this
information?

> 2. magnetic media, with actually quite dense storage-per-square-inch, subject
> to all the erasure and deterioration problems of other magnetic media. I'm not
> sure what happens to DATs as the signal fades -- has anyone had any experience
> with this?

Do you have any more information on this? I have never heard of a signal
fading on magnetic tape.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts