Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q3--DAT

The first DAT machine I owned (and still have) was purchased for me by
Intersound, so I could provide masters to them on DAT. Unfortunately they
bought one of the very few consumer models, a JVC XD 2507, blessed with copy
guard and the ability to record only at 48 and 32k (it would COPY a 44k source
if one were digitally fed into it, as I later found, and the copy guard could
also be defeated, but by this time it had developed problems with high error
counts and the machine couldn't be repaired by any Canadian techs and was no
longer marketed in the US. It still plays back fine and occasionally gets
pressed into service.

I got ten years' service out of a Panasonic 3700..changed the heads at least
twice. I've used a Tascam DA 20 for about 7 years, recently picked up a DA 30
on eBay to replace the Panasonic (which had the ability to provide error
read-outs....if the Tascams are capable of doing this, would someone please
tell me the secret?). And touch wood, any dat tape I recorded beginning in '94
still plays perfectly.

dl