To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:41 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q3--DAT

Hi,

Again, I very much appreciate the responses to my last two posts.

Here is the last set of questions, concerning DAT:

1. What problems are encountered in transferring DATs?

2. Have you noticed tape deterioration with this format?

3. Are there any brands that are more problematic than others?

4. Are there problems with thinner tapes (probably 120 minute or above)?

5. Playback compatibility problems between machines?

6. Have you noticed any age-related problems?

7. If you had to choose between preservation transfer of a DAT tape from
the mid-1990s, an open reel tape with sticky shed, an acetate-based open
reel tape from the late 1950s, or an audio cassette from the 1970s,
which would you choose and why?

[Assume that the content is different on each but each has been rated as
equivalent in value. Assume also that you are conducting a visual survey
of your collection and you have no further information on the individual
recording. Therefore, your choice is based solely on what is known about
how the format itself deteriorates and the risk that it represents, or
on factors relating to the obsolescence of the format.]

Thanks!

Mike

Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University

micasey@xxxxxxxxxxx
(812) 855-8090