Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q3--DAT

I've had more problems with DAT machines aging than with the tapes themselves,
which I've been using extensively since '92 or '93. The only problems I had were
with using discarded dats on a different machine, till I made the acquaintance of
the right bulk eraser (there are such things). There were one or two cheap brands
such as DicDat, which were to be avoided and which quickly disappeared.

For the last 7 or 8 years I've used DDS tapes exclusively, having been informed
that they were manufactured to higher standards than commercial DAT tapes. Never
used 90m but the 60m tapes (incidentally, that's the length, 60 metres, providing
120 minutes of recording time..or double that if you use the 32k "archive" rate on
some machines) have been available from a variety of sources for around $2 each,
which was certainly a factor in my decision to try them. I wouldn't even know
where to find brand name dats today but I suppose they're still out there.

dl