Re: [ARSCLIST] Formats (was Risk assessment tool Q2)

Yes, that's about my experience too. Many non-NR sources, quite a few Dolby A transfers but that's more pro-grade music stuff, and a handful of dbx beyond my own stuff (I went thru a dbx II phase, with quarter-track reels, in my youth -- bad idea although reel tapes don't seem to lose level badly enough to have real issues with the dbx aside from that it was a bad concept from the get-go for music; luckily most of the material is FM radio concerts that sounded bad from the get-go too).

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Formats (was Risk assessment tool Q2)

At 10:43 AM 1/8/2006, Tom Fine asked:

Richard, without giving away trade secrets, do you have anything but a very small percentage of business with non-mainstream formats (I'd call mainstream Dolby A, B, C and SR and dbx I and II)?

Hi, Tom,

The bulk of my work is non-noise-reduced reels and cassettes. I have done one Telcom C4 via ftp (the sender had an APR-5003V and made a nice WAV file which I ran through the Telcom C4 processor and re-digitized and uploaded to my server. He was happy.

I do Dolby A and dbx I from time to time with the odd dbx II thrown in. I see very little Dolby C, S, and SR.

Of course, not having 16 channels of Dolby C and S tends to eliminate me from the very narrow format multitracks that Steve Puntolillo sees from time to time.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/