To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool Q2

At 11:51 AM 1/7/2006, Don Cox wrote:

There is a need for a software decoder for Dolby B and C, with
adjustments for dealing with such problems.

But even in the 1980s, I used to find that a Dolby cassette played back
on a different machine did not always sound right - it seems the
circuits were often badly adjusted in manufacture or had drifted.

C is of course more fussy than B.

And there is also Dolby S.

The idea of the decoder in software is great, but as long as Dolby is selling hardware products, they have no interest in the plug-ins.

The majority of my non-tape-machine equipment in my transfer studio is obsolete noise reduction and I don't have enough!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/