Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo of recording of oral histories ?

At 02:45 PM 1/7/2006, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm not sure why one would feel the need to record a single voice in stereo,
unless wanting to preserve the acoustics of a recital hall, for example.
There are many factors that could affect intelligibility, but recording in
mono of itself would not reduce such. One high quality closely placed mic
would certainly be adequate to capture a speaking voice, I would think.

Joe, my original post discussed a group of six people in a discussion and I did not mention that it was followed by a two person session. I think most oral histories are at least and interviewer and interviewee.

Certainly two high-quality lavaliere mics, one to each channel, would be optimum for that. I was just surprised how much the spatial component added to intelligibility. I like the AT-822 so much I bought a second one. These worked very well as they were placed directly on tables (with small foam windscreens) providing a boundary layer effect similar to a PZM or the old EV mic mouse.

Is it important to hear the interviewer as well as the interviewee? Probably depends.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/