Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo of recording of oral histories ?

> How many people record oral histories in stereo?

Richard,

Right now we record in mono using Marantz PMD670/PMD660s and Sennheiser
421IIs.  In the past we have done two channel recording--i.e. recording to
a stereo recorder (analog cassette, DAT and MD) by splitting a mono mic
signal between the L/R stereo channels, and have used two channel
recorders to record two individuals with one voice per channel, but we
have never done true stereo recording.  From what I see, true stereo
recording unusual in this field.  That said, some people do record in
stereo, normally with single point mics (ranging from the cruddy little
Sonys to AT825/822s).  I know some ethnomusicologists and folklorists who
use a single-point stereo mic as their "go to" mic for both music and
interviews, but that seems to have as much to do with really liking a
particular mic and not wanting to haul too much gear around as it does a
desier to record interviews in stereo.

For us and our needs, I decided that more managable file sizes far
outweighed any potential gain from stereo separation with interviews. It's
a lot easier for me to manage the 16/48 file associated with 1.5 hour+
interview if it's in mono; and when using CF card-based recorder, you have
a longer record time in the field.

And in our case, we'd have to buy new mics (or set up a stereo
configuration using our current mics!) to record in true stereo anyway.
I'm lucky enough that we bought new recorders...

Best,

andy

andy

--