Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo of recording of oral histories ?

At 03:18 PM 1/7/2006, andy Kolovos wrote:

Right now we record in mono using Marantz PMD670/PMD660s and Sennheiser
421IIs.  In the past we have done two channel recording--i.e. recording to
a stereo recorder (analog cassette, DAT and MD) by splitting a mono mic
signal between the L/R stereo channels, and have used two channel
recorders to record two individuals with one voice per channel, but we
have never done true stereo recording.

I thought that was the norm. Other techniques I have used have been a pair of Sennheiser MKH-416Ts one on my Dad and one on me and that is perhaps the best sounding that I've done, but you can't beat the AT-822 and a MD recorder for compact.

From what I see, true stereo
recording unusual in this field.

I was blown away with the AT-822 in boundary layer mounting (i.e. flat on the table) for the realistic effect of being there. I'm now listening to the MD-421U version (the original, not the II) and it certainly is reasonably clean, but the lack of spatial information makes it less "you are there" for the six-person discussion.

I know some ethnomusicologists and folklorists who
use a single-point stereo mic as their "go to" mic for both music and
interviews, but that seems to have as much to do with really liking a
particular mic and not wanting to haul too much gear around as it does a
desier to record interviews in stereo.

That makes sense. I decided that a second AT-822 would be a good choice so someone was selling a new one for $200US so I grabbed it. I'm sticking with MDs for a while since I have two working recorders.

Redundant outfit: two MD recorders, two AT-822s, three (one long) 1/8" stereo plug to XLR-3, a pocket full of MDs.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/