Re: [ARSCLIST] Plus Deck

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > 100 - reserved for some future technology which can
> > record the brain signals of an event attendeee and
> > then transmit those to the brain of a listener, so
> > the "listener" actually experiences the event and
> > can mentally edit out any sonic discrepancies, just
> > as he/she/it would do in the venue...
>
> You raise a notion which I find to be quite curious. I find it interesting
> how we can mentally edit a recording when we know the music. It seems that
> critics are less critical of sound quality when it comes to historic
> recordings of standard repertoire than those of less familiar repertoire.
> I wonder if knowledge of the music makes it easier to listen beyond the
> limitations of the recording when one knows the repertoire.

Well, I think another factor is being used to recording technology
used! I find that I can enjoy listening to average-condition
acoustic 78's...in spite of the seriously low audio bandwidth
and the omnipresent background noise. Further, I can do this
even if it my first encounter with a given record!

As well, when I attend a live performance (most often
pop music) I am able to mentally edit out all the noise
other than the musical performance (which I know exists,
because I have tapes of my own group performing that
do contain the irrelevant noise from the crowd and
other sources!

It would be interesting to be able to record the sound
*exactly as heard* from one's seat in the venue...and
then compare that to what one remembers having heard!