Re: [ARSCLIST] Plus Deck

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> As well, when I attend a live performance (most often
> pop music) I am able to mentally edit out all the noise
> other than the musical performance (which I know exists,
> because I have tapes of my own group performing that
> do contain the irrelevant noise from the crowd and
> other sources!

And for me, I rarely attend concerts because of the noise that comes from
the audience, even at classical music concerts. I can't seem to block it
out...those candy wrappers in the quiet parts drive me crazy...

Yet, I am able to hear through the crackle and clicks on a lacquer.

> It would be interesting to be able to record the sound
> *exactly as heard* from one's seat in the venue...and
> then compare that to what one remembers having heard!

Which raises another question...after having reviewed a concert
performance, I would sometimes be given a recording of the concert. After
listening to the recording, I would reread my review and wonder, "what was
I thinking (hearing)" when I wrote that review.

It wasn't the same as going back to a piece of music you may not have
encountered in several years and then discovering something new in it...I
would find that I would notice things like errors in intonation, ensemble,
etc. These obeservations could not, at least in my mind, be attributed to
the microphone placement and the quality of the microphones...or at least
I did not think so at the time, but I now wonder if those considerations
could effect my hearing of even those basic aspects.

Karl