To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 3:58 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Telefunken & DGG

Steven Smolian wrote:

For years I thought Tele was the Nazi record label, making the official discs for their radio station libraries.

These records are among the great discographic mysteries. The German radio published catalogs of this stuff for their own internal use. The disccs almost never turn up. I remeber seing listed a Beethoven 9 with Rehkemper singing the bass part. Apparently they made 12 copies of each selected broadcast for later use, distributing one to each of the 12 (I think) regional stations. This goes back to 1928 or so, pre Hitler. I have what I believe to be one of them, an "Un bel di" or the like with Reining, incomplete on one side,

Someone abroad with better German than mine might consider this as a research project.

So where can I find these catalogs?! It sounds like they might help me solve one of the great puzzles, the "Fritz Schreiber" Eroica, issued in the early 50s on Allegro 3113, but clearly recorded pre-1945. (It's worth solving because the performance has certain of Furtwangler's unique 'fingerprints', but not others.)

Regards,
Eric Grunin
www.grunin.com/eroica

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.9/216 - Release Date: 12/29/2005