To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pirated Mengelberg 78s

"eric@xxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

> [...]
Inc."

> I recently found the Beethoven Eroica on "World's Greatest Symphonies",
in two 3-disc
> albums, and I'd bet it's the Mengelberg although I haven't made a > direct
comparison yet.

The Eroica is Schuricht / Berlin Philharmonic (rec. September 1941).

Up until this exchange I, and thus my website, confused "RCA" with "RCA
Victor", and had further assumed this was a licensed issue. It's a relief
to realize that they were pirated; the thought that someone in the states
was licensing from Polydor in 1941 is a bit nauseating. Yes, I know much
worse went on, but still.

Regards,
Eric Grunin
www.grunin.com/eroica

This is fascinating! I'd always assumed (and to assume is to make an ass of u
and of me) that Obie stole nothing but Telefunkens..but there's a period where
Telefunken and Polydor (DG) are sharing the same roof, maybe before the Siemens
era. It still raises the question of how Obie got the discs to bootleg while we
were at war with Germany, or were enemy phonograph records still being exported
to the US? I find that hard to believe.

As for "RCA", Obie wanted everyone to believe that the Record Corporation of
America stood for just that.

dl

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.9/216 - Release Date: 12/29/2005