Re: [ARSCLIST] Pirated Mengelberg 78s

Don Tait wrote:

>   This software doesn't seem to enable me to quote anyone's messages, so
> after saying that I've enjoyed the discussion I'll say about Obie, pirates, et.al.
> that Mengelberg's Concertgebouw recording of Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony
> (Telefunken SK 2424/9) was pirated on the "Music Appreciation Recordings of the
> World's Greatest Music" 78 series. The labels say "World's Greatest
> Symphonies," the disc numbers are X-40/44, and they are in a flimsy album with a leaflet
> of notes. The labels say "Copyright 1941 Music Appreciation Projects, Inc."
>
>   I used to also have a set of Dvorak's New World in this series but was
> never able to identify what the souce recording might have been. It wasn't the
> Mengelberg Telefunken; Mengelberg is always unmistakable.
>
>   Don Tait

I recently found the Beethoven Eroica on "World's Greatest Symphonies", in two 3-disc
albums, and I'd bet it's the Mengelberg although I haven't made a direct comparison yet. The
transfer is actually half-decent, from the little I sampled. But some of those Obie dubs are
really horrible, full of wow, running onto the label, you name it.

I have the New World on a couple of labels..Philharmonic, Masterpiece. Isn't that the one
that was issued as "Havana Symphony Orchestra" in one incarnation?

dl