Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

Happy Holidays to all list members!

I'm new here, so maybe it's better to first present myself. My name is Gabor
Valyi and I work as a teaching assistant at the Budapest University of
technology and economics. My PhD dissertation (that I should finish by spring
2006) is an ethnography of a certain record collecting subculture / community.
I'm also interested in digital sound archives and the just forming creative
archives movement. I also play records as a DJ here and there.

As for 101 Strings, the 1500 LPs sounds a bit too much for a life's work,
however I went through like 200 Percy Faith's this summer, many of which I
never saw or heard of before and there were plenty of his records that I had
seen in the previous 8 years, but not in this collection. I guess prolific
bands like the 101 could easily cut 10-20 records a year, working actively
actively over a 30 years period it might add up to approximately 450 albums, add
reissues, compilations and best ofs on different local low-budget labels +
international re-releases in a few countries, and you might come close to 1000
albums altogether. So even if the person who collected this pile was the leader
or manager of the band 1500 would have to mean lots of duplicates. Or 45 singles
for that matter. However, such a complete collection of the worlds cheesiest
easy listening group would sound tempting to anyone who is writing music
history of the obscure and discarded.

I went through loads of their records at fleamarkets, in recordstores and
private collections the last few years looking for a 101 strings LP (entitled
"Sounds of today" [Alshire S-5078 LP]) AND the 45 single ("I Remember / Karma
Sitar"  [A/S -4520] (45) yellow label) for the track Karma Sitar, a rare
exception in their musical output. Still, no luck :( So don't knock the
band off so easily.

BTW, if noone would touch this collection, please pick these records out for me,
before depositing them in the wastebin (I know you wouldn't od throw them away
like that, anyway :) ).

All the best,

Gabor

Quoting stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: