Re: [ARSCLIST] ruminations on the ARSClist-was: message board vs. listserv

Brandon Burke wrote:

I guess the question is, how much are we tailoring this thing to our own needs and conveniences vs. perhaps making the list's contents easier to navigate for the greater archival/collector/discographer/etc community? No, this is not a rhetorical question. I'm asking because an answer in either direction will, in turn, answer almost all of my questions above.

Seems we're providing a bountiful wealth of knowledge to the public...provided they're wiling to cross a swamp to get it. (Again, this goes back to the question about whom our target audiences are for these posts.)

Please note that there is a form of self-fulfilling prophecy here. One who finds the listserve uncomfortable is unlikely to use it for frequent posts; one who is accustomed to the e-mail interface will find posting easy as well.

I am not clear on the extent to which this list is focussed on serving the broader public and the extent to which it is to serve the archivist/librarian community. I sit somewhere between the two communities, focussing on practical home needs far more than most who post here, yet being regarded as an extremist among collectors for insisting on calibration and the like. I do not believe there is a single community such as you depict or that there is an effective way to serve the ones that exist in a single forum.

Let me use one element as an example: documenting the recording. It would be grand to have a definition of the information to be catalogued and the format to be used so that collections from all archives could be correlated and access could be sought from knowledge, not from personal queries or assumptions about completeness. Such a definition has no relationship at all to the catalogue questions with which I deal, typically: What's the best alternative to CDDB?

This list functions in a way similar to the discussions incident to a professional meeting. It is the place where ideas are thrown out, where processes are explored, where incidental information is exchanged. The meeting itself and its documentation as part of the society's journal are the formal components. A message board could serve a different function, for example in developing a standard with the give and take that that process entails. It is more precisely focussed than the list - which is an advantage for some purposes.

In short (and at long last): if the purpose of this forum is to consolidate ideas, then the message board is an attractive method. If it is to open lines of thought, then it should remain a mailing list.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/