Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Peter Hirsch wrote:

> Apologies to Larry.
>
> I didn't post the original link to Franz's obit, but I think I was
> responsible for pushing the discussion over the brink when it might
> otherwise have fizzled out before it got rolling, so I guess I am
> somewhat to blame. I am not a totally evil person (IMHO) but I suppose
> in some sense I did want to share my own personal funk with some
> sympathetic colleagues when I pushed this discussion onward.

Indeed, it has been an informative exchange. I am learning how many of us
have shared the experience of a Music Master's and Record Hunter.

It also reminds me of how I got connected with others who collect. It was
through my visits and associations with record stores that I made many
long time friends who have, through their wonderful generosity, shared a
wealth of material that I never could have accessed through normal
channels. This is especially true of the broadcast recordings.

I am reminded of some recordings recently sent to me by
friends...Mitropoulos conducting the music of William Schuman with the
Vienna Philharmonic, the Barber Cello Concerto with the New York Phil,
etc.

As I have written before...while there are treasures in the major
archives, there are also unbelievable things that will never make it to an
archive. I am reminded of several instances where I have donated copies of
some broadcasts to the originating organizations, and asked for something
in return...I know, I was naive.

And then, with my interest in classical music, I think of all of the
materials that reside in the Broadcast archives. A friend of mine did some
research in Vienna in an archive of the Austrian radio...incredible things
of great historic interest...all locked away from the general public. How
tragic for the few of us that would really care to not only know what might
be out there, but derive "pleasure" or assistance in our research by being
able to hear some of those treasures. Will they ever be available?
Probably not.

Karl