From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steven Smolian
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 9:27 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Acostic playback

Karl's point about playing acoustic records back through the acoustic
machines on which they were intend to be heard is a good one.  However,
there are two arguments that torpedo it.

First is that what we hear is the sum of distortion introduced not only
by the playback horn and chain (tapered arm, etc.) but also that of the
one or ones used for recording as well as the characteristics of the
recording device.  The latter is, mostly unknowable at this stage.  It's
the old issue of problems being of a different magnitude where energy
changes occur rather than where they are amplified.

The other is that there was no mathematical understanding of the nature
of horns until the theory of matched impedance was uncovered in 1923 and
exploited in the design of the acoustical Orthophonic machines in 1924
(actual dates may vary by a year- I don't have my research data to
hand.)  Before then, all was guesswork- an "art" which led to varying
degrees of subjective sonic accuracy until then, none satisfactory, to
these ears.

Steve Smolian