Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

Hello Peter,

In looking at your PDFs of the N.Y. record emporiums, it touched a few haunts in my memory of the San Fernando Valley and Hollywood that I visited as a youth. In Burbank where I lived, we had lovely music/record shop on San Fernando Road where I bought my first LPs and 45s as well as many 78s prior to that. I think it was called Corradi's, but I won't swear to it. I was hooked when RCA came out with their 45 changer with that magnificent BIG center spindle and the easily handled disks. Of course, that was the main new source for pop singles (until the EP came out), and the LP was for my classical stuff.

As I got to be a teenager, I moved farther afield and bought records at Wallick's (of Capitol Records fame) Music City at Hollywood and Sunset boulevards. They had those wonderful listening booths where you could actually hear the recording before you bought it!!! My dad was an amateur ham, so he had an early appreciation of audio, and I remember he bought a Philharmonic (Hazeltine) Hi-Fi AM radio/Garrard record changer combination with a 12" woofer and cone tweeter on which we listened to classical 78s on Sunday afternoons. The shop where he purchased it was called "Gateway to Music" in the high rent district of Wilshire Boulevard, and the store sponsored a classical evening program, the Evening Concert (later sponsored by the Southern California Gas Company) on our main classical station (AM, then) KFAC. It wasn't until much later that Tower Records opened on the famous Sunset Strip, and then, extended its shops all over the Southland. So, we here in the West have some wonderful memories from the early years of recorded music, too.

Rod Stephens

Peter Hirsch wrote: <snip>

As a coda; I searched a bit in the NY Times back files, one of the perks of my employment at a major library is access to some pretty decent online resources that I once in a while use for my own research (please, don't anyone tell my boss), and came up with a few articles that might interest those participating in this thread. One was on the closing of Music Masters, one was about the advent of Tower in NYC (1984) and its impact on the existing record shops (could one ever really think of Tower as a "shop") and a series of articles about a block on 8th Avenue in Chelsea the impact (in the mid-1980s) of rising rents. One of the businesses on this block was Max Draisner's 8th Avenue Records (it DID have and name after all!) and there is a great picture of the place with Max holding court. Even if you never were part of this specific scene, you were definitely in a place exactly the same at some point. Anyhow, I'd be happy to send the PDFs of these articles (and also Franz's photo from the Times) to anyone who writes to me off the list.