Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation policy question

Russ Hamm wrote:
I guess the question would be, What is the original medium from which the tapes were made and what is the status and condition of that medium? Do the 1/4 " tapes become a redundant step in the process of preservation?

I think this is a good point. If the originals are not showing signs of deterioration, I would see no reason to hang on to tape copies. Maybe an assessment of the originals would be in order. Only keep the copies for those originals that may need attention.

Though I don't archive original material, I encourage my customers to hang on to originals. One never knows what turn technology will make in the future.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
www.avocadoproductions.com

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.13.13/197 - Release Date: 12/9/2005