Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT transfers and bit depth

on 12/7/05 1:11 PM, Richard L. Hess at ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Where I use 24 bits is if I don't know the peak levels on a tape that
> I'm transferring, I'll transfer it at 44.1/24 and then I have more
> dynamic range to adjust with before dithering down to 16 bits for CD.

Richard,

It should be pointed out that you are referring to (I assume) analog
transfers into the digital domain where the extra "toeroom" of 24-bit
conversion allows you to set conservative recording levels so as not to clip
your converters.

The original question referred to born digital material - 48 kHz DATs.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts