Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT transfers and bit depth

Hi, Andy and Steve,

If you start out with 16 bits and all you do is level shifting up there is no need to go to more than 16 bits for archiving. If you get into fancy post processing, then perhaps, and just perhaps you'll gain a very tiny advantage with 24 bits.

Where I use 24 bits is if I don't know the peak levels on a tape that I'm transferring, I'll transfer it at 44.1/24 and then I have more dynamic range to adjust with before dithering down to 16 bits for CD.

Most sources don't use all 16 bits.

Cheers,

Richard