Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

I've been out of town and I'm just catching up with ARSClist, but here are some of my thoughts related to Richard's question and the discussion that followed:

1) If rights allow you to, put it online and let people download it. Yes, you lose some control, but in cases of real infringement beyond what you state people are allowed to do with the material, you can always turn the lawyers loose on them. We recently licensed a recording from our collection to Norton for the new book that just came out on Richard Feynman and we charged them a lot of money. That particular recording is not online, but we do have Linus Pauling material from the same collection online that is free to download. If somebody wanted the Pauling material for similar commercial purposes, we would still charge them a lot of money even though it is online. Free access online does not ruin the market for commercial exploitation nor does it mean you give up your rights to control what people do with things. Some people may sell bootlegs on ebay, but legit users like Norton are going to license it properly.

2) There is perceived value to higher bitrate recordings. For our cylinders, we determined that 96kbits was sufficient. However, we used 128kbit because people perceive 96kbit mp3s to be of low quality, even if they capture every last bit of frequency response. You could also use VBR which is becoming more common.

3) Streaming is great, but it requires extra infrastructure. It is helpful to be able to stream material so people don't have to download large files to see if the material is actually of interest to them, but it requires a dedicated server and a separate set of files. We've found that given a choice people download more than they stream by a wide margin. I can't give you exact figures, but people want to grab it and go. Restricting to streaming might be a possibility if there are rights issues that don't allow you to provide downloads. Yes, people can capture audio streams with software, but that's breaking the law. People also knife plates out of books which is also illegal, but we don't shut our doors as a precaution. We should do our best to maximize use and minimize risks and get on with things.

4) If copyright and/or donor agreements allow you to, give them the whole recording online, not an excerpt. Why are we obsessed with control? Do we want to evaluate the character or scholarly credentials of each user before deciding to grant them access? That's been the history at some institutions (I'm not naming names), but it is antithetical to my way of thinking and is a waste of the archivist's and the researcher's time. Over the past two weeks people have downloaded over 200,000 mp3 files from our cylinder website. That is more use of our historical audio collection (78s and cylinders) than the collection has seen in its 30+ year existence by several orders of magnitude. Granted, giving away music online is like handing out dope at a Grateful Dead show and you won't find this kind of traffic for an oral history collection, but the principle is the same. I'm just really glad that I didn't have to process each one of these requests individually!

David Seubert
UCSB