Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

On 06/12/05, David Seubert wrote:

> 3) Streaming is great, but it requires extra infrastructure. It is
> helpful to be able to stream material so people don't have to download
> large files to see if the material is actually of interest to them,
> but it requires a dedicated server and a separate set of files. We've
> found that given a choice people download more than they stream by a
> wide margin. I can't give you exact figures, but people want to grab
> it and go. Restricting to streaming might be a possibility if there
> are rights issues that don't allow you to provide downloads. Yes,
> people can capture audio streams with software, but that's breaking
> the law. People also knife plates out of books which is also illegal,
> but we don't shut our doors as a precaution. We should do our best to
> maximize use and minimize risks and get on with things.

The other problem with streaming is that it doesn't always work.
Sometimes the browser doesn't support the format used, other times the
stream stops and starts. Many users are not on broadband.

A plain download of an MP3 always works. Ideally there would be high and
low bitrate files offered as alternatives.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx