Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Trey Bunn wrote:

> > I know this may sound absurd...and it does to
> > me...but, unless
> > you have a signed release, that old lady, her heirs,
> > and/or their
> > lawyer(s) could end up knocking at your door.
> >

> Release forms for the interviews/recordings were
> obtained back when they were made, one of the
> stipulations being that McKissick could use the
> material for anything we want.

I am confused...as I recall in your previous post you mentioned
something relative to "nobody would probably be out to sue you for
making a recording of an old woman telling about how she was taught
quilting." If you do have, as you state, release forms, I don't see how
there could be a possible violation of rights...perhaps unless she started
making plugs for the use of some particular company's quilting tools.

As I type this...it is all beginning to fall into place...As of late our
library system has made great inroads into the food service industry by
building coffee bars and restaurants in our libraries. Perhaps
diversification is the key.

Maybe libraries could start selling ad space for downloads...for instance, if
you wanted to hear the lady talking about her experience learning quilting,
you might have to listen to a could 30 second spot, from some company
that sells hobby products! Libraries just need to think more like Google.

Karl