Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

Marie Azile O'Connell wrote:

My instinct has been to give
a very short excerpt of audio, with text, but to keep out the 'prized' part of
the audio that the person really wants.  If they want it badly enough, then
they will have to get in touch with the company, University and pay for it!

This was our instinct initially. But I've found that trying to create coherent excerpts to mount on the web takes a heck of a lot of time.

Time I wish I had.

Like I wish I had an assistant, or at least a consistently reliable intern.

So I'm currently weighing the ethical and economic concerns related to putting up full interviews. What I like about using full interviews is that someone accessing the material can listen and follow along by reading the marked up transcript. What I don't like is that someone's words and our bread and butter can be easily harvested for some nefarious or odd-ball purpose. I mean, I'll be surprised the day someone makes a killing selling bootlegged oral history interviews, especially when they'd have to be dressed up from cruddy sounding .mp3s, but still.

And as another poster mentioned, permissions are a huge issue too. Many of our interviews were conducted before researchers had informants sign release agreements as a general practice. Many of our informants are dead. I've also found that even if an interviewee is happy to give permission for access and copying, many people are reluctant to allow for web-based access to audio of their interviews. I can't blame them either.

For those people who we've lost touch with, we're following the American Folklife Center's practice of making a "good faith effort" to establish contact and get permission to make materials available on the web. The big test for this method is coming shortly--we've got a Feb/March goal of getting our test collection up and accessible.

andy

--
Andy Kolovos