Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Marie:

Is your university a state-funded institution? Does it receive federal
tax-supported grants? Then why don't the taxpayers of Mississippi and the
larger United States have an ownership stake in what you produce and are
therefore entitled to free access? Just curious.

-- Tom Fine

Why do you assume (assert?) that an ownership stake means free access? One purchases copies of public-domain documents from conventional libraries - costs are recouped. One pays a fee to use the facilities of a park supported by national, state or other government.

There are costs associated with providing the materials for public access. We are intimately familiar with the overhead of the facilities and staff to acquire and maintain the material and to produce the post-able selections, but there are also servers, connections and traffic costs. They may not be visible if you use the facilities of your institution (as they are for those of us paying for them ourselves), but they are present and can be substantial.

In fact, the Subject here depends on those costs in practice. Those recommending high bitrates and multiple channels are likely to be in an environment where the pipe to the Internet is presumed infinitely wide and the users are presumed to have broadband connections in the institutional class (T1 or better). A substantial number of visitors to my primary site are on dialup and I rarely post anything which would burden them. That affects not only selection of content but also bitrate in a way that others need not consider.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/