Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Tom Fine wrote:
> > Is your university a state-funded institution? Does it receive federal
> > tax-supported grants? Then why don't the taxpayers of Mississippi and
the
> > larger United States have an ownership stake in what you produce and are
> > therefore entitled to free access? Just curious.
>
> Why do you assume (assert?) that an ownership stake means free access?
> One purchases copies of public-domain documents from conventional
> libraries - costs are recouped. One pays a fee to use the facilities of
> a park supported by national, state or other government.
>
> There are costs associated with providing the materials for public
> access. We are intimately familiar with the overhead of the facilities
> and staff to acquire and maintain the material and to produce the
> post-able selections, but there are also servers, connections and
> traffic costs. They may not be visible if you use the facilities of your
> institution (as they are for those of us paying for them ourselves), but
> they are present and can be substantial.
>
> In fact, the Subject here depends on those costs in practice. Those
> recommending high bitrates and multiple channels are likely to be in an
> environment where the pipe to the Internet is presumed infinitely wide
> and the users are presumed to have broadband connections in the
> institutional class (T1 or better). A substantial number of visitors to
> my primary site are on dialup and I rarely post anything which would
> burden them. That affects not only selection of content but also bitrate
> in a way that others need not consider.

This actually is part of a much larger and more complicated
question that is still being debated...namely, do public
libraries have a right to provide free access to any
copyrighted material? I have frequented both municipal
public libraries and libraries operated by government-run
schools (i.e. State/Provincial Universities, etc.) and
have never had to pay anything except fines on overdue
borrowed books. This could, of course, be seen as
depriving authors and publishers of revenue!