Re: [ARSCLIST] Edward R. Murrow "Hear It Now", etc.

I hear STRONG Canadian accents from, of all people, a couple of NPR
correspondents. One lady, Jacqui Northam (sp??), who covers government and
security stuff, has one of the strongest Canadian accents I've heard since I
was a kid. My cousin's wife is from the Great White North and her father had
as strong an accent as I've ever heard. Anyway, the lady on NPR say "oot,"
"aboot" and everything else you'd expect EXCEPT "eh?" Ironically, there was
a report I heard last night while driving home about Canada doing some
reparations thing for their Indians and the Canadian commentator they
interviewed spoke with much less of an accent than NPR's own correspondent.

Also, do you guys still have the "Hockey Tonight" broadcasts? When I lived
up near the Canadian border, that broadcast was in all the cable systems --
forgot which network or station it was from. Those guys were 100% Canadian
all the way, strong accents and all sorts of uncommon (to USA ears)
expressions and word choices.

On the other hand, I have several CBC drama productions from the 1950's and
there is not one sign that they're any different from USA drama shows of the
same era. All generic English and scripts are written with American sentence
construction and diction, not British.