Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

I'm sure Diamond Cut can be made to work very well, but their own "before
and after" page shows some really disasterous overuse of the software:
http://www.diamondcut.com/BeforeAfter/usersamps.htm

Does anyone really think the end result of that Bessie Smith record is
better than a moderate course where there's still some record noise but the
piano and top end still sound normal?

My experience with using Sony Soundforge's vinyl and noise-reduction tools
is that there are times when they work very well but must be used with
extreme prejudice toward under-use. Even the factory-default settings take
out far too much music for my ears. One trick I discovered last week I only
did because I wanted to listen to the music on a badly damaged LP and it is
long out of print or was never issued on CD. I got very aggressive (for me)
with both NR and vinyl repair, using the factory defaults for each. It sure
did remove the ticks and pops and even the crackles (NR did that), leaving
behind only some sections with bad groove distortion. But the music had
holes in it where bad ticks and pops had been excised. So I added a little
bit of reverb, which smoothed out over the holes in the music enough that
the program material is very pleasing at low volumes. I do not recommend a
crazy radical course like that for any sort of decent-condition content and
most LPs in that condition should be shown the dustbin of history tout suit.

My own personal taste in 78 transfers leans toward some of the restoration
work done in the later LP era, when very good engineers would use good
playback equipment and the best metal parts or reference discs they could
find. They'd then usually use moderate expanding and EQ to take out some but
not all surface noise. I hate to keep citing it, but listen to the work
Frank Abbey did for Time-Life's Giants of Jazz series. Even some of the
early Mercury and Columbia LPs, where they would reissue stuff from 5-10
years early that was recorded to disc, sound excellent, to the point that
you can't tell it's a disc source unless you listen carefully. This was even
true into the 1980s when Japan Polygram was reissuing some Verve material
which would span from the 78 era into the tape era (or tapes would be lost
so they'd use disc masters). A really good modern effort has been the CD's
I've bought from the latest incarnation of the Bluebird label that Doug
Pomeroy did. I know Doug uses all the latest and greatest technology but at
least for the discs I have, he did it in a musical way instead of the "all
noise must go" robotic method that some people seem to prefer.

Opinions based on one man's ears, etc.

-- Tom Fine