Re: [ARSCLIST] Repair

I still try to avoid glue altogether.  Getting the glue residue
out of the grooves, trying not to form a "bead" in the groove
area - these are all unavoidable issues, labor intensive to
correct and/or work around.  For example, one side might glue
up beautifully, but gravity is pretty hard to avoid, so the
other side may not.  I've taken junk 78s, intentionally broken
them for experimentation on gluing technique, and this has been
my experience.  Note that Krazy Glue (consumer cyanoacrylate
has some issues: (1) the current formulation is more "gel-like"
so it doesn't "wick" properly; (2) the set time is too long;
(3) if you make a mistake it's truly irreversible (biggest
liability).  I'm still on the hunt for an industrial anaerobic
formulation of cyanoacrylate with low surface tension and fast
setting time to experiment with - I think this might be viable
in some limited applications.  But again, I avoid glue for the
most part.

Perhaps as important as "tight" is "flat".  Through the use of
precision flat/clear discs made of semiconductor grade acrylic
machined to high tolerances, I create a sandwich that allows me
to safely transport, clean, play and flip a broken disc without
gluing it.  I also sometimes use sorbathane mats along the way,
which have a natural tackiness to them, to hold things together
without glue.

If anyone is interested in purchasing such discs, feel free to
contact me off-list.  I get the discs machined in batches in
order to get the cost down since they get machined on expensive
machine tools with special end mills.  The discs are made for
handling broken 16-inch acetates on glass substrates - something
you'd never want to glue, but I can have them made in smaller
sizes if there's enough interest.

Regarding laser turntables, if it won't play with a stylus, it
will not play with a laser turntable.  I've tried every which
way to Sunday, and laser turntables have all the same tracking
issues as a well-designed properly-aligned stylus turntable.
After all, the laser turntable is designed to mimic a stylus.

The primary advantage of a laser turntable is that you may not
hear the pop from the break between the pieces.  If the break
is bad where the mating edges have been chipped, even slightly,
you will hear the break on the laser turntable as well.

There are tricks to making the break inaudible on a stylus
transfer.  Choice of cartridge and EQ are critical, giving you
options in post-processing that might not otherwise exist.

With a stylus turntable, where tracking through the break is
problematic (and perhaps impossible on the laser turntable) you
have options for dynamically adjusting the anti-skate and
vertical tracking force (depending on the townearm) that are
not available with a laser.

The laser turntable works best with clean unchipped breaks on
discs without warp.  Otherwise a stylus works a bit better in
my experience.  In general, it always requires some
experimentation as the laser may surprise you one way or the
other.

There are also tricks for getting rid of warp on 78s, but
that's a whole 'nother thread...

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128