Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

For critical restoration/critical work, I would not use DC6 (or most
any audio editor).  The curves in DC6 are off as much as 0.5 dB from
the exact analog curve, which is quite audible when doing critical
work.  DC6 has to balance performance versus accuracy.  More accuracy
would have required more digital filters, which in turn would have
harmed the sound quality.

In no way am I being negative about DC6.  I think it offers tremendous
value and is easy to use with many special features for restoration
work.  But for the most critical work, I wouldn't use DC6.  Nor
would I use Soundforge, Wavelab, Cool Edit or other audio editor
(which are all excellent audio editors - I'm partial to Wavelab myself
and use it daily for most things).

I'm using a Cube-tec Audiocube 6 right now for critial EQ work, and
am reasonably pleased with the EQ - but that's because the EQ is
implemented with 64-bit processing to minimize digital artifacts/
distortion.  But it's also one order of magnitude more expensive
than the other audio editors mentioned above.

But my most preferred EQ approach for critical restoration/re-issue
work is analog tube EQ.  I know those are fightin' words in some
circles ;-)  I'm not saying that analog tube EQ is the best, it's
my preference.  Not all tubes are equal, not all solid state is
equal, and not all digital is equal.  In my own evolution, I spent
nearly two decades in the solid-state low-distoration tubes-are-
colored camp.  I think you need to try as many approaches as
possible, and settle on the one you like best when it comes to
creative restoration/re-issue work.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128