Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Charles Lawson wrote:

> Jos Van Dyck <jos.van.dyck@xxxxx> wrote:
> >[hub-only]
> >Labels may come loose.
>
> True, they may, but I haven't had it happen, yet, in many years with the
> NEAT-O brand.  (I haven't had such good luck with others.)

When we first started cataloging commercially produced CDs, the library
administration insisted (over my dead body--something they have done
often) that a label be applied, for identification purposes, to the discs.
When the first labels started to peel, they took the reflective surface
with them.

Those who work with paper tell me, never use glue, or tape for anything
you want to preserve. I am reminded of tape splices...glue will either dry
up or ooze. The glue on many labels can eat into the surface of the disc
and, in time, the label will peel. A CDR without a protective coating on
the top, is likely to lose some of that top surface when the label
eventually peels.

I don't label, or write on CDRs. I use the serial number towards the
center for the purpose of identification.

Karl