Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens

I'd highly recommend the Electronic Media Group (EMG **) Optical Media pen - this is a permanent, felt-tipped, water-based marker.  Solvent-based markers containing alcohol or aromatics such as xylene could potentially damage the protective lacquer coating.  Although alcohol-based markers are generally less damaging than the aromatic-based markers, it's much safer to use water-based markers.

Pens are available from the EMG website http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/emg/pen/
Cost:
1-3 pens $4.00 each
4-10 pens $3.50 each
11+ pens $3.00 each

** EMG is a speciality group within the American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works (AIC).

Amy Ng
Resource Analyst - Ingest
National Library of New Zealand
Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa
PO Box 1467
Wellington, New Zealand
Tel +64 4 474-3134 Ext 8915
Fax +64 4 474-3140

>>> dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 18/11/2005 8:11 a.m. >>>

I recommendation these.
http://www.tapes.com/index.php?cPath=199_210_219

On Nov 17, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Colin Schlachta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a non-smudging, non-toxic water
> based
> pen that performs like a permanent marker on CD-ROMs.  My supplier no
> longer carries them and I'm now looking for another source.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Colin Schlachta
> Audio-Visual Archives
> Canadian Museum of Civilization
> 100 Laurier Street
> Gatineau, Quebec
> J8X 4H2
> Fax: (819) 776-7055
> Tel: (819) 776-8466
>
> 1856-2006 - Musée canadien des civilisations / 1856-2006 - Canadian
> Museum of Civilization
>
> 150 ans de culture, de collections et de découvertes / 150 Years of
> Knowledge, Collections and Discovery
>
> Journée portes ouvertes le dimanche 14 mai 2006. / Open House on
> Sunday May 14, 2006.
>

> Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur
> ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute
> diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements
> qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s)
> désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique
> par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de
> courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.
>

> This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender
> does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any
> distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it
> contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If
> you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-
> mail or otherwise) immediately.

David Rice
Archivist
Democracy Now!