Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown Victor pressing location

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
> I am presently having a small discussion with a German collector over a
> particular Victor pressing that I have, but due to the relative scarcity
of
> this type, I have nothing to compare it to, except - for good quality of
> reproduction - ARLIE (Kurt Nauck). It is a question of label style and
where
> the pressing was made.
>
> The record says it is:
>
>                   VICTOR MONARCH RECORD.
>  - the usual blurb about "This record is leased for the purpose...." -
>
> MANUFACTURED      (HOLE)    ELDRIDGE R. JOHNSON,
>   EXCLUSIVELY BY                        CAMDEN, N J.
>
>                          Jolly Fellow's Waltz
>                                Played by
>                           SOUSA'S BAND
>                                    3246
>
> On the reverse it says REPRODUCED IN HANOVER !!
>
> ----- anybody wishing to see what the label looks like may have 91kbytes
> worth of .jpg sent!
>
> Now, it was recorded on 4 April 1901 and also appears on G&T 0439, which I
do
> not have.
>
> The label style approximates the Victor Monarch Record 3042 (Vess L.
Ossman)
> shown in ARLIE, but there are very noticable differences, apart from the
> HANOVER bit.
>
> The diameter of the black paper is identical to contemporary G&Ts from
> Hanover, the font used for VICTOR MONARCH RECORD is taken from the G&T
font,
> not the font for 3042; in fact the word RECORD. is a spitting image of
that
> of a G&T of the same vintage (1901). The font for the record number is
also
> the squat G&T font, not the elegant style shown on ARLIE. There is no dot
at
> the top of the text, nor any ring around the center hole.
>
> Now, Hanover may well originally have received its own fonts for the gold
> printing from Victor, or, if pressings of Victor records were taking place
> there, Victor may have sent labels over, and there may be the same style
> differences demonstrable in US pressings (i.e. without HANOVER on the
> reverse). However, I have no way of checking.
>
> And the fact that REPRODUCED IN HANOVER is on the reverse of a record
> purporting to be a US manufacture is disturbing. Did Eldridge Johnson have
> problem with manufacturing capacity in 1901?
>
> So, I would be happy if you could collectively muster some examples of
this
> record and examine them. And report to the list, naturally.

Well, we know that G&T either pressed records in Hannover, or had them
pressed there, since a lot of the pre-1914 British Zonophone records
are so marked.

We also know there was a connection between G&T and Victor, particularly
in the early years.

So, the logical assumption would be that G&T decide to issue some (one?)
record using the Monarch label...perhaps to test its their/its sales...

Was the side issued on G&T as well? Does anyone know?