[ARSCLIST] unknown Victor pressing location

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

I am presently having a small discussion with a German collector over a
particular Victor pressing that I have, but due to the relative scarcity of
this type, I have nothing to compare it to, except - for good quality of
reproduction - ARLIE (Kurt Nauck). It is a question of label style and where
the pressing was made.

The record says it is:

                  VICTOR MONARCH RECORD.
 - the usual blurb about "This record is leased for the purpose...." -

MANUFACTURED      (HOLE)    ELDRIDGE R. JOHNSON,
  EXCLUSIVELY BY                        CAMDEN, N J.

                         Jolly Fellow's Waltz
                               Played by
                          SOUSA'S BAND
                                   3246

On the reverse it says REPRODUCED IN HANOVER !!

----- anybody wishing to see what the label looks like may have 91kbytes
worth of .jpg sent!

Now, it was recorded on 4 April 1901 and also appears on G&T 0439, which I do
not have.

The label style approximates the Victor Monarch Record 3042 (Vess L. Ossman)
shown in ARLIE, but there are very noticable differences, apart from the
HANOVER bit.

The diameter of the black paper is identical to contemporary G&Ts from
Hanover, the font used for VICTOR MONARCH RECORD is taken from the G&T font,
not the font for 3042; in fact the word RECORD. is a spitting image of that
of a G&T of the same vintage (1901). The font for the record number is also
the squat G&T font, not the elegant style shown on ARLIE. There is no dot at
the top of the text, nor any ring around the center hole.

Now, Hanover may well originally have received its own fonts for the gold
printing from Victor, or, if pressings of Victor records were taking place
there, Victor may have sent labels over, and there may be the same style
differences demonstrable in US pressings (i.e. without HANOVER on the
reverse). However, I have no way of checking.

And the fact that REPRODUCED IN HANOVER is on the reverse of a record
purporting to be a US manufacture is disturbing. Did Eldridge Johnson have a
problem with manufacturing capacity in 1901?

So, I would be happy if you could collectively muster some examples of this
record and examine them. And report to the list, naturally.

Kind regards,

George