Re: [ARSCLIST] Storing Mini-Discs

Richard L. Hess wrote:

Digitally transfer them to two CD-Rs and store the CD-Rs. Or better yet, if you have a managed digital archive that can accept them, store them in that.

I don't think many of us think that MDs are archival. I wouldn't worry about an archival box for a medium that probably isn't archival. I don't think we can expect the long-term availability of MD players as compared to CD players.

I nearly replied along similar lines - then realized that there is no reason the MD would not be durable and even archival as a medium. The format is hardly recommend for quality recording and players may well be a problem, but as a storage medium the M-O scheme employed should be resistant to most of the ills other media are heir to.

Because of cost, mechanism and format, MD is not attractive for archiving and probably has not had the sort of study archivists would value, but given that the recordings are already on MD, a less drastic solutions than transferring the content may be fitting.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/