Re: [ARSCLIST] old acetate tapes - curling/tape tension remedies?

> I'm looking for information about how anyone here on the arsc-list has
handled and transferred old acetate tapes that have begun to curl?

> Does anyone have a favorite machine that they use for playback, where one
can gently increase tape tension to improve the tape->head contact?

At the Louis Armstrong Archive, I used an Otari 50-50, which is a constant
torque machine, and held a cotton ball against the head while the tape
played through. Since those machines were mounted vertically, it often
became a test of endurance. use a light touch, just enough pressure to keep
the tape in contact with the head, but not enough to slow it down. Try and
find cotton balls that are dense, and not fluffy, or you may get wisps of
cotton in your tape pack.

-Matt Sohn