Re: [ARSCLIST] Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of treasures

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Steven Smolian wrote:

> The institution makes an investment in shelving space, heating, curatorial
> services, etc., when it accepts a collection.  If building traffic is one of
> its objectives, this being a factor determining budget, then travel to it is
> certainly a legitimate requirement, though it may be expensive and
> inconvenient to the pilgrim.

Absolutely...if building traffic is part of the library's mission.

I guess I have never seen that in the mission statement of any library.

And, from what I see around me, libraries seem intent on digitizing
themselves out of business...but then, I guess it depends on what one sees
as the business of libraries.

Karl