Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Karl Miller wrote:

What an amazing list! and, what a potential legal problem it would be to
issue those...and how sad it is that copies may never be offered for
sale to the public.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Karl

In all seriousness, I wonder whether rights and obligations might be compromised to make them accessible. For example, it may be legitimate to offer the recordings within a museum through listening rooms having access to a central server. While such access usually entails prohibition against recording, is that necessary? That is, if the library simply notified patrons that copying is illegal, prohibited or discouraged, would that suffice legally? It certainly would not keep copies from being made and circulated.

Of course, it all depends on one's purpose. I ask only about compliance with the law. However desirable, compensation of the artists, producers and others is effectively impossible. From all indications, it would also be negligible financially. I am asking in all seriousness: Given that there is no prospect of monetary profit, who benefits from suppressing dissemination of a recording of acknowledged historic importance?

There is a corollary: Is it necessary for a library to participate in that suppression? Or is it today simply a form of hoarding, of the archive gloating over its unique possession?

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/