Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs (preservation by distribution)

At 09:44 AM 10/5/2005, Karl Miller wrote:

And, knowing that the subscribers to this list are amongst the best in
reformatting and restoration...I would wonder if anyone would like to
share stories on recordings they have preserved that they consider to be
treasures...things that, for reasons of the US copyrights, and the
potential costs involved (legal and license fees, etc) cannot be made
available to the general public. Recordings that may reside in private
hands and/or have not been listed in any of the major bibliographic
utilities.

(1) The first item that comes to mind is the first taped broadcast ever to air on a nationwide radio network in the U.S. It was produced on tape, but copied to ETs for broadcast. It's a celebrity icon issue as much as a copyright issue with this one. I spent several hours exploring the licensing of this and it was too complex to address. I had wanted to burn 1,000 CDs of this and be done with it, but that wasn't going to be easy from a licensing perspective.

"Philco Radio Time with Bing Crosby" 1 October 1947

(2) I have transferred some oral histories of Charles Lindbergh which have been distributed to the family and the family of the friend of Lindy's who made the tapes--in fact the tapes were made to help Lindy convince the friend that HE should write about their early experiences as Lindy had already done. It never happened. I _think_ a copy may have gone to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum.

(3) Too recent, but the Princess Diana interviews would be interesting to have available. The text is in the book, but listening to her voice was interesting.

And NO - no one can get copies of these things from me.

The seafarer interviews I'm doing right now for the San Francisco Maritime Museum are not that interesting in their entirety, but I went and bought the out-of-print, limited edition book that came from these interviews as the overall subject, when condensed and interpreted, should be interesting. This is about 60-70 hours of interviews.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/